- Part 2: How to Fix iTunes Error Library.itl File is Locked on Mac Exit iTunes and press 'Command', 'Shift', and 'G', type in /Music/iTunes/ and press Enter You'll see an iTunes library file with the name iTunes Library.itl. Rename this file to 'iTunes Library.old'.
- As you say, the standard way to rebuild an iTunes library has always been to load the iTunes Library.xml file, and iTunes would rebuild its database, which is stored in the iTunes Library.itl file.
Sep 10,2019 • Filed to: Manage iTunes • Proven solutions
Itunes Itl File Location
iTunes library means everything for iTunes. It's a database to store all valuable information and files to organize music and other things. Therefore, it could be as large as gigabyte depending on how many music you have. Although iTunes library is a giant, it only contains two files: iTunes Library.xml and iTunes Library.itl.
The two library files locate at the same folder, but have different path for Mac and Windows machines. They are used by iTunes for different purposes. See below for more information.
Back up/copy your “locked” iTunes (library files etc). Move “iTunes Library”, “iTunes Library Extras.itdb”, “iTunes Library Genius.itdb” and “iTunes Music Library.xml” out of your “locked” iTunes folder to somewhere safe, you’ll need them again in a sec. Sep 27, 2018 Select Command+Shift+G and type /Music/iTunes/ to open the iTunes folder. Rename iTunes Library.itl to iTunes Library.old within the iTunes folder. Navigate to Previous iTunes Libraries and copy the latest library file. They include the date within the filename. ITunes Library.itl is always the primary file. Library.xml file can be used to import libraries from other computers. ITunes will write those files in a format that is easily readable so that all other applications can also get a compiled list of the content of the library.
Mac OS X: /Users/USERNAME/Music/iTunes/
Windows XP: C:Documents and SettingsUSERNAMEMy DocumentsMy MusiciTunes
Windows Vista: C:UsersUSERNAMEMusiciTunes
Windows 7: C:UsersUSERNAMEMy MusiciTunes
Part 1. iTunes Library.itl File
The extension name 'itl' means exactly iTunes library. However, prior to iTunes 10.4, The iTunes library has no such extension name in Mac. Since it's a database file, iTunes Library.itl is indispensable for iTunes. It stores information of your songs, playlists, and some song-related information. If you removed this file, iTunes will create a brand new one, so any playlists, song ratings, or other information is lost.
By creating multiple iTunes libraries, you will have multiple sets of iTunes library files - in different folder. You could choose to open which library by holding down 'Option' (Mac) or 'Shift' (Windows) key when run iTunes.
Note: You can restore your iTunes library with Time Machine in Mac, because iTunes Library.itl is the only iTunes library file that is backed up by Time Machine by default.
XML was designed to transport and store data. iTunes uses this well-organized and easy to understand format to communicate with other applications such as iPhoto, iDVD, and iMovie. Therefore, you can easily add itunes music to your projects.
Part 4. iTunes Media Folder
iTunes now doesn't only means music, but also video, books, podcasts, etc. Besides iTunes library, iTunes also use an iTunes Media folder to store other data. You will probably get these stuff in iTunes Media folder:
1. Music and Artworks Ripped from CDs.
2. iTunes Store purchases.
2. Any other items you imported into iTunes (requires the option to 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library' in iTunes Preferences).
If you want to fix or recover your iTunes Library, you should try iMusic. It is a free music download platform which can download backgroud music directly. It is totally free programming that can be compatible with Windows and Mac. It can fix ID3 tags, covers, and delete duplicate Song & remove missing tracks.
iMusic - Best iTunes Library Manager You Deserve to Own
- Download music from over 10,000 music and video sites.
- Record music in original quality and automatically split the ads.
- Discover and download music from more than 300,000 songs.
- Transfer music between any two devices directly without iTunes.
- Fix music library intelligently with correct ID3 tags.
Steps to Fix iTunes Library by iMusic Easily
Step 1. Download and install iMusic.
Step 2. If you want to fix music, including the missing tags, missing tracks, deleting duplicates and so one. Just click 'Clean up iTunes Library' after you select the 'TOOLBOX' option.
Step 3.After you click the 'Clean up iTuns libary', you can scan the itunes Library.